Friday, February 8, 2008

Regionally Embedded Mistakes

Everywhere you go you find peculiar regional fluctuations in the usage of English. Some of the publishing companies have begun to categorize national versions of English as spoken in countries that are non-native ones. I myself have found some interesting propogations of outright mistakes, but more often bad or antiquated choices of phrases here in eastern Poland. Of course, I have kept in mind that I am not an expert on British English and the older generations have learned this brand and have been pressing it on the younger ones as well. The younger generation speaks mostly American English due to the free access to the Entertainment and Technology industries, which the older generations had been denied.

High Time
You want some examples, don't you? If I said, "It's high time I started grading these test." What would be your impression? Maybe I really AM a cowboy actor! ;-) Perhaps I am simply making fun of myself as if I were lazy, when everyone knows I ain't. :-( If you thought this phrase "high time" was a simple expression commonly used in English, then you should reconsider. It is an expression of slight self-ridicule in the face of a reputation for the oppostie behavior.

I'll be posting more examples, though not only of regionally embedded mistakes. Stay-tuned!

No comments:

My Top Tags

 
/*Google Analytics code*/